Tuesday, March 30, 2010

for madeline.


as the month of april rolls around, i can't help but think of the spohr family.

before i started this little fashion blog, i used to spend my free time reading blogs. i don't know how i stumbled across heather's blog, but i did. and unfortunately, i found it after what is undoubtedly one of the biggest tragedies that could ever happen. their beautiful daughter madeline had passed away.

no, i'm not a parent..but hearing the spohrs' story just struck something in me. madeline was born over eleven weeks premature. i was a preemie myself, but not as drastic. i couldn't grasp how this little girl, with a contagious smile, was taken from her parents. no parent should have to see their child pass away. but that isn't the point to focus on.

i couldn't help but wonder...who else has been a preemie? albert einstein, mark twain, charles darwin, and a few more that may surprise you.

i mean, could you imagine what this world would be like without their contributions? ...but to bring to point home even more, could you imagine what it would be like if your child was born premature?

due to the advances of technology, madeline was able to bring joy to her family and friends for seventeen months.

due to the advances of technology, madeline's sister annabel was able to be born healthy. and due to heather chronicling madeline's life, annabel will never NOT know her big sister. she will always be able to look at pictures, videos, and her mother's blog entries. she will never be forgotten or overlooked.

i usually blog about fashion. and when you think about the context of how we value the importance of "fashion" .. you should also take a moment to realize that there are much more important things out there. one of the best things about the blogging community is that you know you're never alone - something that has helped heather and her husband mike through their darkest days.



heather and mike created friends of maddie after their loss. you can read more about their mission here, but it is very obvious - they want to help families who have to experience the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU).

i know times are tough right now for everyone, but i DEEPLY encourage you to donate. there is no minimum limit. you would be surprised of how far a dollar would go if everyone gave one. in addition, you can sponsor a family support pack for $25. we saw a cute purse, we wouldn't blink to donate $25. 

it took me a while to write this, because it was a very important post to me. probably because i was a preemie myself. probably because many of us overlook what it's like to have family members in the hospital around the holidays. probably because most of us are too busy. 

even if you can't donate, please just take a moment out of your day. be grateful for what you have. be grateful for the experiences that you've gone through. and please give a thought about madeline & the spohr family.

18 comments:

Rai said...

Aw, great post!

So sad when a little one passes away. :(

Leah said...

Reading this post made me realize how lucky I am that my boys are okay. There are a lot of things to appreciate in this world that we normally fail to notice.

Maddie's story is a great inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

Have a great day! xoxo

Join the Gossip said...

What a cutie!

This is a great post. You are so right, we take things for granted and posts like these really help us put everything into perspective.

Thank you for posting.

Josie said...

This is a positively lovely post. This is such a worthy cause -- I can only hope that everyone will check this out.
xxoo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Ashley said...

This is an amazing post, and I applaud you for blogging about something that is so important. I will keep Maddie, Annabel, and the entire Spohr family in my thoughts and prayers.

-Ashley
http://breakfastatsaks.blogspot.com

Maddy said...

I'm so glad you stepped away from your usual topic to remind us of such an important life lesson. Thank you for sharing Spohr family story with us. I'll be checking out their blog right now!

Kristin said...

It is so lovely of you to put their cause out there!

Cafe Fashionista said...

I adore you for posting this, Tiffany! You are the sweetest ever! I am so glad to have had the opportunity to learn more about Madeline! :)

Ruth loves said...

Thank you for posting this, its made me realize how lucky all of us are
I love fashion, but sometimes, i just think that there are so many more important things out there.. such as your post

Have a great week
Love, Ruth

hiyaluv said...

beautiful, heartfelt post that definitely spoke to me as I am sure it spoke to your other readers as well.
hugs,
gina

Romany said...

This is a beautiful post. Very important to put things in perspective like this. So true, a lot wouldn't think twice about 'donating' for a purse rather than a charity.
You've done a wonderful thing, and I've left you an award at my blog, sunshine! :)
Romany
xx

Audrey Allure said...

One of my closest friends was premature baby. Such a great cause, thanks for sharing this story!

Couture Carrie said...

Very sweet post; lovely cause!

xoxox,
CC

J said...

awww you are so sweet, what a heart-touching post. thanks for sharing!

Jennifer Fabulous said...

What a sweet and heartbreaking post. It really touches me. Fifteen years ago, my mom had to deal with losing a preemie baby. It was born three months too early and only lived a few days. She was heartbroken and we still have photos and scrapbook to remember him by...

Liya said...

oh my god thats so tragic, but incredibly inspiring at the same time! beautiful post

ps I have a giveaway on my blog dear!

myglitteringcreation.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

Aw, what a touching post!
I wasn't born premature, nor was anyone I know, but it's always such a sad thing to hear about when the child faces complications. I'm so sorry to hear that their daughter passed away. :(

veronicaa said...

Your blog is sooo cuteeee and such a sweet post!
XO Veronica
fashi0npassi0n.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com